Pupils attending Commonswood Primary & Nursery School are expected to wear school uniform. Governors have deliberately chosen uniform that is readily available from local high street stores at reasonable prices. Governors feel that uniform is important because it promotes a sense of belonging to our school and pride in the individual and collective achievements of pupils. It also provides children with sensible clothing in which to participate in educational activities. In addition, it frees parents from the pressures to dress children in fashionable, expensive clothing and footwear.
Long hair is best to be tied back and boys may not have shaved hair styles or shaved patterns in their hair.
Our school uniform comprises:
- Smart, plain grey short or long trousers (not sportswear, leggings, jeggings, chinos or jogging bottoms except in Nursery)
- Sky blue polo shirts or shirts
- Plain grey skirts or pinafores (or pale blue gingham dresses in the Summer term – NO playsuits which are unsuitable as they require children to undress each time they go to the toilet)
- Navy blue sweatshirt or navy-blue cardigan (preferably with the school logo)
- Black, navy, grey or white tights or socks - Socks/tights must be worn for hygiene purposes
- Black shoes or plain black trainers – no logo or white/coloured soles or coloured laces. No laced shoes in Reception.
- Wellington boots can be worn in wet weather but children must change into school shoes on arrival.
All pupils are expected to participate in PE / Games lessons. Children need to dress safely for PE. They should wear plain, close fitting:
- Navy blue shorts
- White tee shirt
- Black plimsolls for indoor PE and velcro trainers for outdoor PE
- Hair tie for long hair
A navy-blue tracksuit may also be useful during the colder, winter months when some PE / games lessons take place outside. Children should not wear replica kits or expensive branded clothing. A named bag for PE and games kit should be provided, and drawstring bags can be purchased from the school office at a cost of £5.00. All children must have a drinks bottle (water only) and spare underwear/clothing (where necessary).
Please provide named wellington boots (any colour) which can be kept at school.
Children are asked to carry their reading book to school each day. The reading book needs to be protected from the weather. Book bags are available from the school office priced £6.00
Design and Technology is a vital part of the school curriculum. The aprons (which can be ordered from Essential Schoolwear and cost £7.25) one size is designed to fit children aged 4 – 11.
Jewellery, including earrings, rings and necklaces, should not be worn to school as it can cause nasty injuries in PE lessons and in the playground. If your child has pierced ears, children may only wear studs which must be removed or taped for PE. Please note that the School will not take responsibility for any loss. Make-up, nail varnish and hair dye are not appropriate for primary school pupils and should not be worn.
Please ensure all items are clearly named.